• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Shotski's

Shotski's
  • Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:34 AM

Hi all,

I'm in the process of getting LLS setup to secure our system functionality, but will still be dependent on internet for credit card processing so I need a backup system for that. I currently have 3G on all my devices to backup CC processing, but with 4 ipads and 2 iphone 3gs those individual monthly fees add up. I was wondering if you more tech savvy people had any insight into the mobile hotspots and whether they would work for a backup system instead? With LLS, does each device send their CC transactions across the web directly or do the transactions go through the LLS and then sent to the merchant across the web (so does each device need to be backed up on the internet or just the LLS since everything runs through it already anyway?) It would be more cost effective to pay one monthly fee for 3/4G service for one mobile hotspot that could broadcast Wifi to all my devices (or to just backup the LLS) rather than paying for 3G for each device. I'm assuming a CC transaction doesn't send all that much data so I wouldn't think I'd have to worry about it getting bogged down too much. I would guess it wouldnt transition as smoothly as I'd have to switch all the devices to the hotspot's network (so a minute or 2 of downtime) rather than having the devices automatically default to 3G and just continue working. Anyone know much about this stuff and whether it would work properly or not?

I know RafaelT you have said that Square is must to backup CC processing. Could you elaborate a bit on how you use it (or would plan to use it I guess) as a backup?. Do you just use the card reader or do you use the whole Square POS as a backup menu and everything? Do you (or would you) just hand write tickets and manually input the ticket amounts into the card reader and have them sign on the device? My place is a bar only and when you've got 30 people belly up to the bar and are running a lot of transactions quickly you can't really be handing your ipad across the bar for people to sign and tip.

As always thanks for the help and insight. This forum is one of the best features of POSLAVU (thanks RafaelT)

#2 RafaelT

RafaelT
  • Administrator
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:33 AM

Alright let me break down my answer for you..

1. Yes a mobile hotspot would work.. but it is a little bit involved. To keep all of your devices processing credit cards with a single mobile hotspot here is what you do... You will need a computer along with the mobile hotspot (you can't cheat and use the mac mini you are going to run LLS on, sorry ;) ). You can't just connect directly to the mobile hotspot because that would screw things up with LLS. This still can be accomplished in just a couple minutes. I have done it with my laptop and the hotspot on my iPhone before.

You would set up your mobile hotspot, connect the computer to it wirelessly then share the internet connection on the computer and plug your router into the computer using Ethernet. A couple quick setting adjustments on the router and your entire network is up and running. I kept one of my clients going like this before they were running LLS for an entire day, they ran off the mobile hotspot on my iPhone. I can go into more detail if needed.

2. LLS does not really have anything to do with credit card transactions. Whether you are using LLS or the cloud the transaction data is encrypted on the swiper and sent directly to your cc processor. You do need an internet connection for processing cards regardless of LLS.

3. Square is really a last resort. It is going to slow things down, there is no way around that.. but at least you can keep going. It's free to have so it doesn't hurt to have that option. I use the square app on my iPhone with the little square reader in the headphone jack. I have a custom payment type set up for Square in POSLavu. I run the order total and tip separately and write down what the tip was and who gets it (there is no per swipe fee so it works out running it twice)

Hope that helps.. let me know if you need me to expand on any of my answers!

Rafael T.
VP Operations
Lavu, Inc.

I joined the Lavu team in March of 2013. Any posts made by me prior to that date contain my own opinions and are posted from the perspective of a restaurant owner and not a Lavu employee.

#3 Lavuuser

Lavuuser
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:48 AM

Admin,
How do you handle if the hotspot connection goes down? I tried to simulate this with my current system and everything fails. I re-enable the hotspot and nothing happens the system continues to not work. Do you know what needs to be done on the base station and Mac mini? We have not used poslavu nor lls because we are to afraid things won't work if this scenario really occurs.
Thanks

#4 Guest_Sarah_*

Guest_Sarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:45 AM

Welcome to the forums, Lavuuser! Thank you for your interest in Lavu.

Shotski, thank you for starting this topic! I know a lot of people are really interested in the possibility of using 3G in case of an ISP outage. I also definitely agree that the forum is an awesome feature. I'm really excited for the future of the Learning Center, too.

As always, thank you for your expertise, Rafael!

#5 RafaelT

RafaelT
  • Administrator
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:00 AM

Admin,
How do you handle if the hotspot connection goes down? I tried to simulate this with my current system and everything fails. I re-enable the hotspot and nothing happens the system continues to not work. Do you know what needs to be done on the base station and Mac mini? We have not used poslavu nor lls because we are to afraid things won't work if this scenario really occurs.
Thanks

Can you tell me specifically how you have things set up?

Is it Hotspot -> Computer -> Router ?

If you set it up in that order you can keep your entire network on line... you will need to connect the computer to the hotspot using wifi, make sure it can access the internet, then share the internet connection on the computer and connect the router to the computer via Ethernet, log into the router and set it to use DHCP to get an IP from the computer.

All that iPads and iPads continue connecting to the network running off the router just like they did before.

Rafael T.
VP Operations
Lavu, Inc.

I joined the Lavu team in March of 2013. Any posts made by me prior to that date contain my own opinions and are posted from the perspective of a restaurant owner and not a Lavu employee.

#6 Lavuuser

Lavuuser
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:47 AM

RafaelT,

I set up that exact configuration but when I Shut off the Mifi or created enough interference to simulate an outage the Ipads did not continue printing receipts or opening cash drawers. So i re-enabled the mifi and still continued to have issues. Is there a script i can run to force the lls to kick in when the Mifi is disconnected and also when the mifi kicks back in?

Thanks

#7 RafaelT

RafaelT
  • Administrator
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

If you are running LLS everything should continue to function whether your internet connection is working or not.

Are you currently running LLS?

The computer that you are suing between the mifi and the router can NOT be the machine running LLS

Rafael T.
VP Operations
Lavu, Inc.

#8 Lavuuser

Lavuuser
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:06 PM

RafaelT,

This is the exact set up I have and was trying to understand why this would be an issue. Is it because the LLS loses its ip address when the wifi signal gets dropped in this situation?

#9 RafaelT

RafaelT
  • Administrator
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:47 PM

LLS MUST be on a machine that has a static IP address, it is also a good idea to use Ethernet to hook it up to the router.

In the scenario above your devices should never lose the wifi signal anyway... why is the router being turned off?

Rafael T.
VP Operations
Lavu, Inc.

#10 Lavuuser

Lavuuser
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:22 PM

RafaelT
There is no broadband connection where i am located so i am forced to use a Mifi card and cell phone reception here is spotty. I want to simulate as many scenarios as possible before fully implementing Lavu. It is a great system when it works but as soon as it loses connection using the above scenario it bombs out.
Is there a way to only use Mifi card + Mac Mini + router? I really would like to avoid having to buy another machine. Could I Have a Virtual machine to handle wifi to router and then have a VM that runs LLS?

#11 RafaelT

RafaelT
  • Administrator
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

As long as you have the Mac Mini running LLS , it doesn't matter if your internet connection goes out, if your network is set up properly everything will keep working. That is the whole point of LLS.

In terms of using the mini for LLS and as the go between for your mifi and router... that is more of an advanced setup then I am going to be able to help you with through the forums. It is probably possible, but I really can't tell you how you would go about setting it up.

Rafael T.
VP Operations
Lavu, Inc.

#12 Lavuuser

Lavuuser
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:40 PM

RafaelT,

Do you happen to know anyone within your organization that has done this advanced set up?

#13 RafaelT

RafaelT
  • Administrator
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

Hi,

I think your best bet is to submit a support ticket at support.poslavu.com .... I don't know if they will be able to provide you assistance or not, while what you are looking to accomplish is doable... it is really outside the scope of how the system is supposed to work.

Rafael T.
VP Operations
Lavu, Inc.

#14 Lavuuser

Lavuuser
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:14 PM

RafaelT,

Has LAVU fixed the issues with Mountain Lion Server? I am unable to download Lion Server and might be forced to upgrade.

#15 RafaelT

RafaelT
  • Administrator
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:15 PM

Yes, the latest version of LLS does run on Mountain Lion.

Rafael T.
VP Operations
Lavu, Inc.

#16 chtbigg

chtbigg
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:31 PM

Lavuuser,
Not sure if your problem is resolved but thought I'd try to help anyway. I would stay away from the mobile hotspot routers as they tend to break quite often. Something about heat build up over extended periods of time can hender there stability. I have tried to use these for the same reasons in the past but they just weren't that reliable.

Cradlepoint makes great 3G/4G routers that use USB modems to connect to the mobile network. I have three stores running on these and aside from an occasional disconnection from the 3G/4G network, this setup is pretty rock solid. They are also fail-safe routers so you can actually tie in two different IP's.

You can read all you need to know about this at 3gstore.com. They have a great support staff and are always willing to help with before and after purchase questions.

#17 David Miles

David Miles
  • Lavu Staff (Moderator)
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:11 AM

Thank you for your input. We do use the Cradlepoint router at Lavu, and we've been extremely happy with it. It does seem to be a very reliable piece of hardware, and having a failsafe is never a bad idea.

David Miles
Lavu

#18 eckenroed

eckenroed
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:23 AM

Has anybody ever through of using Airports? My boss and I had clear wireless internet accounts (which are basically mobile hotspots). I programmed my Airport Express to join an existing wireless network. Then using the Ethernet port on the Airport Express I ran that directly to my WAN port on my Airport Base Station. 

In effect, it was bridging the wireless network back to the wired network. I did this at 3 different locations. As far as the Local Router (Airport Base Station) it was just getting internet hardwired. When I went out of town I would take my mobile hotspot with me (which of course killed my home network), but when I got home, it was as simple as plugging the mobile hot spot back in and waiting about 2 minutes and everything was working again. 

This is how we are going to setup our backup in our bar. I am going to use my iPhone 5 to create a mobile hotspot and then join an airport to it and hardwire it to our Airport Base station. 

In essence when the internet goes down we just need to fire up our hotspot and swap out our WAN port cable on the Airport Base Station and we are up and running. Of course the only downside is that everything on our network would be accessible so hopefully it's only temporary otherwise usage might grow fast. 

#19 David Miles

David Miles
  • Lavu Staff (Moderator)
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:57 AM

Hi Eckenroed, 

Thank you for posting this. I don't see why bridging back to the original network would cause any issues, and using your mobile hotspot to fuel that would work. I am interested in seeing how good this works, and if this is a viable option. I am going to get with our network Guru - the amazing Waldo - and ask for a second opinion on this. 

Once again, I appreciate all you do for our community. 

David Miles 
Lavu 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users